This seems to be my mantra these days. I just can't seem to keep up with everything.
housework, Christmas decorating, cooking, shopping, school work, blogging, exercising...I probably am forgetting what else I'm not getting done!
The real reason for this post, however, comes from the last two weeks of piano lessons.
Last week, Brian was gone, so I took all the boys to drop Ben off for his 30 min lesson. To be efficient and make use of my time, I ran to the grocery store (5 min away) to check a few things off the list. Matt and Adam graciously helped me bag the groceries, and when we got out to the car, I could not, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, find my keys! I searched all over. Matt offered to go back inside and ask the cashier if keys had been turned in. Nothing. All the while, I'm watching the clock tick by, worrying that I'm not going to make it to pick Ben up in time. Eventually, I had to call his piano teacher and let her know I was stranded at the grocery store, and someone would be there to get Ben ASAP. In my frantic shuffle, I decided to dump all the grocery bags out (I thought I had already looked through them all) and low and behold, the keys were in between a bag that the boys had decided to double bag because it was heavy. I picked up Ben about 15 min late.
This week, Brian was gone, so I took all the boys to drop Ben off for his 30 min lesson. To be efficient and make use of my time, I ran to the grocery store (this time 10 min away because of snow and ice) to check a few things off the list. We had reserved a movie online to pick up and went straight to the kiosk to get it. I went to grab my wallet and realized it wasn't in my purse. No credit card = no movie. Fortunately, I had my checkbook, so I told the boys we'd get some popcorn since I knew we were out at home, and we could watch one of our movies at home. We hustle through the store, knowing we have to get back to pick Ben up, and get to the check out with our popcorn and Propel water flavoring. I write out my check for $5.79 (I can't remember the last time I wrote a check at a store), and the guy asks to see my I.D. Are you kidding me? It's less than $6. I told him I didn't have my wallet and that I was in a hurry. He could see I had 3 little kids with me. He said he'd get his manager. A crabby lady wanders over, looks at my check, looks at me, and says she needs to see an I.D. Are you kidding me? In a very snotty voice I say, "It's under $6! Forget it". I literally take the box of popcorn and Propel out of Matt and Adam's hands and toss them on the counter, leave my shopping cart right there, and get the heck out of the store. I WAS MAD! I realize it's a policy they have to stick to, but really!?!? So, after a car ride around town on a snowy, icy night, the boys and I pick up Ben from piano, completely empty handed, and head home for leftovers and movie chosen out of the cupboard. No more trying to run errands during piano lessons.
Can you see why I give up?
2 comments:
shoot! i can totally relate -- that exact thing hasn't ever happened to me, but similar things have. the theme i sense is that Brian should NOT be gone. ever! that'll solve it.
hang in there!
shana
oh.my.gosh.hilary. you just made me laugh so hard! i have totally been there before. the last time i got REALLY mad was at a liquor store, no less. did not have my ID on me (thanks to randy - don't ask). what made me more mad is that the store manager (WHO KNOWS ME AND MY THREE KIDS) would not vouch for me. i gave him a piece of my mind... in a nice way, of course. especially in a small town, you'd think some stores would put customers over their lame a*s policies. sorry. i'm done venting. gotta love those moments - you'll laugh about it later, like i am.
Post a Comment