7.08.2011

Half-Marathon!

On the 4th of July, Holly, Kate and I ran our first half-marathon! 13.1 miles! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be able to do this. The longest I had ever run was 10 miles. Who did I think I was?

I began logging some miles, slowly but surely, and as time went on, I began to realize that with decent training, perhaps I would be able to go the full-distance. The three of us kept each other accountable by logging our workouts on dailymile.com. This website is like Facebook, but it's centered around exercise. I find it very motivating and I like seeing my different numbers and stats each week.

Race day came, and I felt a little nervous, but mostly excited. I was as ready as I was going to be, the weather was perfect, and I was happy to be running the course with Holly and Kate.

I couldn't believe how good I felt! I never hit a wall, I didn't have any nagging aches or pains, and the first nine miles seemed to fly by! The last four required more mental effort, but with my I-pod, cheering spectators, and the knowledge that I was in fact going to complete this race feeling pretty good, I got it done! It's seems crazy to say, but it was a lot of fun!

Finishing time: 2 hours, 10 min, 40 sec
Pace: 9:59 min/mile
Overall place: 1043 out of 1804
Gender place: 445 out of 944
Age group/gender place: 72 out of 154




Running with my SIL, Kate


Getting close to the end


Crossing the finish line



We did it!


3 comments:

Kate said...

You ran an absolutely awesome race! Way to go! I loved training for it with you and running (most) of it with you.

Vivi said...

Great race, Hil! I'm excited for you that it felt so good and you had such a satisfying finishing time. I would NOT have trained for this alone...too bad I screwed up our running the actual race together! Oh well, maybe next time? Eek...did I say that?!?! Next time?

lil' mama said...

Well done! You guys inspire me. :)