7.26.2011

Hiking & Canoeing

The weather in the cities while we were up north was scorching! The heat index was in the triple digits. Up north, the temps and humidity were unseasonable high, but nothing compared to what was happening at home. Fortunately, we were able to enjoy a lot of time outside.

Our first day, many of us went for a hike along the Poplar River. We found a great place to sit in the river and cool off. The sound of the river and the view of the Lutsen Mountains was relaxing. I wish I would have taken more pictures, but with 8 kids in tow, I was more concerned with making sure no one fell in or got lost!

The resort offers free guided canoe trips which several of us took advantage of! Ben, Matt and I had a canoe, Heather, Leah and Dad were in one, Torrey and Jake did great on their own, and Zach joined the canoe guide. (Who also happens to be the head maintenance man on site and a master cosmetologist. Random!) We had an unexpectedly great time! We were nervous about heat and bugs, but neither was an issue. A little splashing with the canoe paddles cooled all of us down, and we loved our time on the river!


The algae caught Ben's eye.

Getting ready to load up!

My helpful paddlers.

It was so peaceful and quiet.

Looking over the falls where the river becomes more exciting.


No comments: