10.03.2010

26.2

He did it! And he did it with a lot of class, I might add! Brian completed his first full marathon today with a time of 4 hours and 35 minutes. That's an average pace of 10:29 min miles.

The boys and I met him at mile 12 (and I hope he doesn't get mad at me for sharing this), but he lost it when he saw us. The tears were running down his face. At first I thought he was in pain or something was wrong, but when I asked if he was okay he said, "I'm just so happy to see you guys!" I've heard running a marathon can be an emotional experience, and clearly it was for him.

We met up again at mile 24. He was running on behalf of the NF Endurance Team, a group I've represented in the past as well. This group had a ton of spectators, a high school drum line playing and a DJ pumping music. He was filled with energy as he ran past.

When he was finished I asked him what he thought and he said, "It was great! It really wasn't that different than running a 1/2 marathon," (of which he's completed 7). I was thinking to myself, ah, yes, it IS different. It's like running 2 half-marathons, but I decided not to argue with him.

We all rested a little bit when we got home, and now he's off to the park with the boys to play on this perfect fall day! He says he's up for running another marathon next year.

Way to go, Brian! We're all so proud of you!


Watching for Dad at mile 12.

Approaching us for the first time

You can see some of the emotion in his face!

Matt and his buddy, Connor, a friend fighting NF, at the NF Cheer Zone at mile 24.

Full of energy with 2 miles to go!

So proud of Dad!


5 comments:

Kate said...

What an accomplishment! Like you guys always do - you made it look easy! Congratulations!

lil' mama said...

SO PROUD of Uncle B! Way to be an awesome example to the kids :)

Vivi said...

SO impressed, Bri. I didn't realize your half count was freaking SEVEN. Good grief. You had a great race and we're all very proud of you! Who knows...maybe some of us "no-way-I'd-never-run-a-marathon" people would actually consider it. Ok, maybe not. But maybe I'll run more than 5 miles someday.

shana said...

way to go Brian!! Hilary: 11 days and counting. I'm due the 15th! You hang in there, I know how yucky late pregnancy can be!

Aleesha said...

WOW! I am SOOOO impressed, Hilary/Brian! And, ya know what, Hil? I'm glad you shared about him getting choked up... that is TOTALLY Brian (i'm remembering your wedding) and that's what I love about him...!!!!!!