2.24.2010

Really?!

Ben came home with a completely unexpected birthday invitation. There is a boy in his class that he has talked about before, but has never gotten together with outside of school. I've never met this boy or his parents.

This was the gist of the invitation:

"Please join us in celebrating (boy's name) birthday by spending the weekend at our family cabin. We will be leaving around 4:30 on Friday and returning around 1:00 on Sunday. Our cabin is a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. (Mentions town in WI where cabin is located, but no address)"

Cell phone numbers listed.

Hmm, let me think about this for a half a second. NO! NO! NO! My goodness, what kind of a parent would I be to send my son away for the weekend, FAR away, with a family I've never met before and who has never met my son?!

I would imagine everything would be just fine, but that's not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Ben initially said he wanted to go, but when I reminded him that I've had to pick him up from sleepovers of boys we do know, and that live a mile from our house, he decided on his own that he wasn't comfortable with this arrangement.

Phew...no fighting him and convincing him about our decision on this one.

8 comments:

Sally said...

Remember our "rule" you have to spend a day at the home before you can spend an overnight. You never know what might be uncomfortable, a mean dog, a mean older sibling, anything...

Glad he didn't fight you on it. I wonder how many kids will go

Heather said...

my rule is even more strict than that now. I have to know the parents! We have staff at church who no longer allow sleepovers once the kid reaches high school.....I think I like that one too.

Yuck. That invitation is just weird.

lil' mama said...

I agree with all of the above. Weird, weird, weird!!!!!

Mrs. Cox said...

Very interesting. I have to know the parents as well and have had some interaction with the child. I also agree with Heather...once they are in HS, no sleepovers. That just sounds like trouble to me!

I am glad he didn't want to go. I wonder how many kids will actually want to go. Oh well. Not your concern.

What happened to bowling and pizza parties with FRIENDS you actually KNOW!!!!

shana said...

Craziness!
Shana

Sally said...

Wow you all are tough mommies. Didn't you have HS sleepovers?

Oh yeah, that's why you won't let your kids have them :)

Vivi said...

So...wait...are we NOT supposed to let them go on weekend trips with families we don't know?!?!?

Good grief...I barely let my kids out of the fenced in backyard.

Mrs. Cox said...

You're right, Sally. I DID do HS sleepovers and that IS why I won't let them happen to MY kids!!! :)