It did.
I wasn't expecting it to trigger some memories from my childhood! As soon as I opened the tin and smelled the smell, I immediately was taken back to our house in St.Paul. The bedroom I shared with Holly opened up to a large square landing area, and our dad used a walk-in closet there for his things. His dress shoes and shoe polish were kept there. The smell, the sound of him buffing his shoes, even the way he would hold his shoes while he polished them, all came back to me.
I wasn't expecting shoe polish to bring back simple, but fond memories of my dad and my childhood.
It did.
5 comments:
Isn't great God designed our senses to bring back memories? What a sweet story about your childhood. I wonder what smells will bring back memories for our children when they are adults!
Precious story, Hil.
Do you have school today?
I absolutely remember how dad's closet smelled of shoe polish and spent lots of time watching him polish his shoes. On the rare occasion that I spiff up my own shoes, I always associate it with him. Good memories!
Plus, your shoes really did need some shinin' up!
i didn't know you grew up in merriam park. my parents lived in merriam park (near cretin & 94 on st. anthony ave.) from 1993-2003. i never really "lived" there since i was at bethel, but was there in the summers and stuff. now my parents live near 280 & como in the st. anthony park area. we live near the fairgrounds kinda. technically we're roseville, but the very southern edge. near lexington and larpenteur.
you should give the memorization a shot. it's been fun. the kids are helping me/encouraging me and i wouldn't be surprised if they ended up memorizing them all too! :)
enjoy the weekend and try to stay warm.
oh, if you went for the 4th kid you might have to give up worrying about if their shoes were polished or not. if you ever meet my kids you have to promise now that you won't look at their shoes, because inevitably they will be in desperate need of a good shinin'!
I remember reading once that the sense of smell triggers memories quicker than any other...
That is so neat, Hil. I, too, remember watching my dad shine his shoes in my parents' bedroom. He had a little wooden carrier that held his brushes, polishes, shoe horn, etc. wow. Thanks for sharing and bringing ME back down memory lane as well...
Post a Comment