If anyone has advice on how to tell when your child is overscheduled, I'd love to hear it! I don't think my kids are there...yet...but I want to be careful that it doesn't happen because I don't think it's good for kids.
Ben has been very interested in joining the local swim club, and after giving it some thought, we've decided to let him give it a try. He'll be practicing 3 days a week for an hour. That's on top of school, Sunday school, and church choir, all of which he also enjoys. It's only a 6 week commitment at first, with an option for another 12week commitment along with some weekend swim meets.
He's 7....is this too much? I didn't do any organized activity until I was in 9th grade!
7 comments:
We haven't let our kids do a whole lot of organized sports because it gets overwhelming to US. (But then again, we have six to shuffle) That being said, I think sports and activities are great but if it gets to the point that your lives revolve around the extras, it starts to hurt the whole family. When things are more stressful to us or the kids than fun, we just don't sign up again for a while!
EVER HEAR OF MICHEAL PHELPS ??
MAYBE BEN MOORLACH IS NEXT !
I think allowing Ben to do the swimming club is a great thing since it's something he enjoys and is interested in doing. It's not something you're pushing him into; that's not healthy for anyone. With it being only a six week commitment you have the chance to evaluate whether the benefits outweigh the extra stress. Not sure about Ben, but Leighton's 2nd grade homework load has been pretty light. He has independent spelling and math do each Friday along with extra reading. It's very manageable. Olivia, on the other hand, is a little overwhelmed. The older they get the more full their plate becomes. This is only the beginning!! Enjoy! :)
Yep I think the next MICHAEL PHELPS will let you when he's too busy
I feel like this is one of those situations where you'll know it when you see it. I suspect Ben's cues that he's tired or stressed are pretty clear to you and Brian... Right now the only activity we've got is dance class on Saturday mornings for Ava, but I've always thought a good rule would be one physical activity (like dance or swimming) and one artistic/intellectual activity (like music or art) would be a good balance. And somehow church activities seem different to me.
I think you should let him join the activities he wants to and when it starts becoming too much then scale back. He may decide himself what he wants to stay involved in. I think it is great you are letting him discover what he is interested in for himself.
You guys always do a good job of encouraging, but not pushing too hard. I think as you watch Ben, you'll know if he's enjoying it or not. And maybe YOU'RE the next Debbie Phelps! :)
Post a Comment