3.24.2009

Frustration Makes Me a Better Runner

Typically I run about a 10 minute mile pace. This morning, I ran a 9 minute mile for 4 miles. The difference was, I was very frustrated! The past two nights it has been windy which makes it loud and hard for me to sleep. In addition to that, I've been completely paranoid that our tampoline will blow away in the wind, and I get up several times a night to check on it. I'm not sure what I would do if in fact I did see it beginning to lift off the ground, but appparently I need the reassurance in the middle of the night that it's not going anywhere. (Plans to stake it down are in the works.)

So this morning, AT 3:30 A.M., I was wide awake and decided I would head downstairs and hit the treadmill. I've been a little obsessive about exercising lately, and figured "why not?" since I was wide awake. My first mile was actually about an 8:15 pace because I just couldn't believe I was running in the middle of the night! I was able to keep an eye on the trampoline from the treadmill, so I felt much more at ease.

It was nice to be done with my workout and showered by 4:15! I was able to get back to sleep for a little while, but I'm guessing it will be a long day.

Let's hope it's not windy tonight!

8 comments:

blessedby6 said...

You are amazing. My first thought, while wide awake, is not of exercise.

Love the new blog page. That picture is great!

Mrs. Cox said...

I love your new page too. The family pic is darling.

Exercising at 3 in the morning???!!! You are something! Way to go. Hope you're not exhausted the rest of the day.

Vivi said...

I'd say it's insane to exercise in the middle of the night if I hadn't done it myself before. Too bad we can't coordinate nights and we could run outside. :)

LOVE the new springy blog look!

Heather said...

ya'll are nuts. When it's night, I sleep. The end.

lil' mama said...

I was close to doing a 3am run the other night! Kudos for you actually doing it.

I love the family pic and blog layout! Very fun!

ginnymae said...

What a great way to spend your can't sleep time! I would rather be exercising than laying there frustrated about being awake. I totally get you on needing to see the trampoline!

PTCPAPA said...

Well, first of all you're a woman of my own heart because of your ability to do normally-daytime things in the very-early morning.I too like the Rushmore pix of your family. I'm impressed by your running pace. I have never been that fast. Tiedowns for your tramp are a good idea, especially now that we are entering the most windy months of the year.ptcp

Aleesha said...

The Smith family is really making me laugh tonight.

I concur with Heather's comment 100%.

Hilary, re: the trampoline... OH MY GOSH. Let it go. Go to bed. If it blows away, OH WELL! The other day I backed our SUV into a fire hydrant in the parking lot at work. OH WELL is all I could say. Life goes on. I'm still waiting for Randy to notice the dent...