3.20.2009

Breakfast in Bed

I was excited to sleep in last Saturday morning. All week long, and I mean every single school day, I had to wake the boys around 7:40 so they would have time to eat and get ready for school before the 8:10 carpool.

Guess what? By 6:50 Saturday morning, everyone was up, and Brian was at the gym and then to a men's breakfast at church. As the boys piled on my bed I moaned, "I just want to stay in bed for a little bit longer." Ben quickly suggested making me breakfast in bed.

At first I said no because I didn't want to deal with the mess that was sure to follow. But I could tell that they really wanted to take on this adventure, so I decided, why not? What's the worst that could happen?!

The boys know that I often have coffee with a bagel and cottage cheese in the morning, and that's what they wanted to make for me.

It was fun to lie in bed and listen to their conversation out in the kitchen.

Some of what I heard:
"Do you know how to put the lid on?"
"Wait! Not in there!"
"I know I've seen mom usually do it like this."
"Should I go get mom?"
"There, now it's not a mistake."

At one point, Ben came into my room and said, "Mom, is this what you like on your bagel?" I'm glad he double checked with me. It was sour cream. A bagel with sour cream on it for breakfast. Yum.

There was absolutely no fighting in the process, and a short while later, the boys delivered my perfectly made breakfast in bed!


The Breakfast Club


Breakfast in Bed...delivered on a tray and with love!


Coffee delivery boy


The clean-up was surprisingly very small. (Notice the red sour cream container and the purple cottage cheese container.)


For some reason it took the coffee pot and 2 mugs before the coffee finally made it to my travel mug.









7 comments:

Sally said...

Wow I'm impressed!! How did they know how to make coffee?

shana said...

What sweet boys!

lil' mama said...

Very sweet!

Will you have them teach Luke and Charlie how to make breakfast in bed for me? :)

Mrs. Cox said...

Impressive, Hilary. You've taught your boys well. Here's hoping they meet my girls at Bethel and hit it off! :)

Vivi said...

Very sweet! If they're doing this well now, just think how well they'll do bringing you breakfast in bed in a few years!

Kate said...

Adorable! How did you teach them to make coffee??

Gma Marilyn said...

Priceless!!