2.17.2009

No You Didn't

Yes, I did.

For some reason, this is the phrase that can be repeated a few times over when it comes to me and window blinds. At our first house, the blinds were pulled open, and the "excess" string was bothering me and I wanted to tidy up the look. I decided to "trim" the cords, and quickly realized that I no longer would be able to shut the blinds.
No you didn't!

Yes, I did.

At our current house, the boys' rooms face west and get hot afternoon sun during nap time. The plastic blinds that were on the windows when we bought the house weren't room darkening, so I hung a quilt on a tension rod to block out the sun, meanwhile heating up the blinds underneath, and eventually melting them.
No you didn't!

Yes, I did.

Yesterday, I was looking out the deck door, and the grit and grime on the fabric vertical blinds got the better of me. I googled how to wash vertical blinds, and after sifting through various suggestions, decided that the idea to take them down and soak them in a warm tub with Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner was the most logical solution.
No you didn't!


Yes, I did!
But this time, it worked out perfectly (even though it kind of felt like washing and drip-drying 30 ace bandages)! I was thrilled with how clean and white the blinds look, and how easy the process was. I even took pictures to prove it.


No, you didn't!

Dirty Blinds Soaking


Left-Over Gunk in the Tub


Drip-Drying

Sparkling White!

Yes, I did!


3 comments:

shana said...

when would you like to come to my house and clean stuff that is full of dust and yuck? just wonderin'!

blessedby6 said...

We clean the vinyl mini-blinds in the bathtub. Works super well. Don't you just feel like you accomplished something? Love that feeling!

BTW-for those long strings we put a little plastic mount next to the window that we wind the excess cords around.

Aleesha said...

wow. i'd be so impressed with myself, too, hilary. isn't it great when you try something new and it actually WORKS!?

i remember you telling me the story about you cutting the string years ago - F.U.N.N.Y. seriously, you make me laugh.