Around 5:30 am the morning of the 15th, I felt some strange twinges and wondered if these were contractions. They were quite irregular at first, but I convinced Brian to take the day off and stay home with me. It was a cold, snowy day, but we still took a short walk around our block. I remember lying on the couch watching "Sweet Home Alabama" with a watch and notepad of paper, and the phone nearby.
At 1:00 we went in for my 40 week appointment at which time the dr. said, "This baby could come in the next 24 hours, or in the next week. It's just too hard to tell." I wish I could be that vague in my job sometimes! We drove the 25 minutes home and within a half-hour of being home, the contractions hit like a ton of bricks and I was dropping to the floor. We called the hospital and they told us to come in.
Things seemed to be progressing as you would expect, so the nurses began getting an IV ready to start a line to eventually feed an epidural through. Unfortunately when they returned, I had dilated much quicker than they anticipated and was now told that I would not get an epidural. I was pretty freaked out, but figured that there was nothing I could do about it. After being stuck at an 8 for 2 hours, without the epidural, things finally got moving again and at 10:47 pm Benjamin Howard made his entrance into the world. He has taught us how to be parents and he's made it pretty easy on us!
It's amazing to look at pictures and think back to our little baby Ben. He's now 8, in 2nd grade, independent, opinionated, smart, funny, athletic, sweet, articstic, musical, kind, and gentle. We love him very much!
Happy Birthday, Benny Bop!
The Early Days

With Buddies for a Sledding Party


DQ Ice-Cream Cake

He's Getting Too Big!
6 comments:
Happy Birthday Ben. You've entertained us with Wiggles impressions, jokes, singing in choir, t ball and swimming.
I hope I always get a hug and kiss when I say good bye!!
Happy Birthday, Ben! Apparently, I still think it's Monday, so I'm late...sorry, buddy. Your mom and dad were gracious enough to let you be my first "baby" too. You will always hold a very special place in my heart. It's been so fun to watch you grow up - you've turned into such a great kid. We love you!
What a great story! I can tell you remember that with admiration. Happy Birthday to Ben!
Double digits aren't far off!! It is amazing how quickly our kids are growing up. Why does time move so quickly now compared to when we were younger??
This is a late comment but I did say Happy B'day on time on FB! Anyway, I just love that Ben! Always makes me smile:) Fav Ben memory - wiggles and magic shows!
There is simply no way Ben is 8....
Post a Comment