12.25.2008

Christmas 2008

Christmas came and went much too quickly this year, as it often does. I'm one of those people (please tell me that I'm not the only one) who often feels very sad when Christmas is over. It has nothing to do with the gifts. The music, the decorations, the traditions, the food, the coziness, the family time all are important to me and I want so badly to create the same fond memories of Christmas that I have from my childhood for our boys. I tried my best to soak in the season, even taking a little time on a couple of late evenings to sit on the couch by myself, Christmas music on, tree lit, just sitting, reflecting and being thankful for the many ways in which I have been blessed.

Memorable Moments
*There were just a few gifts under the tree a week or so before Christmas, and Matt looked at them wide-eyed, smiled and said, "Boy, are we ready for Christmas or what?!" Honestly, there were about 4 under there, none of which were for him!

*Ben & Matt wide-eyed when they saw the tree on Christmas morning with the gifts. We keep it relatively simple, but compared to the 4 gifts that had been there previously, this seemed like a lot. Matt: "The tree is overflowing!"

*The boys were so excited Christmas morning and couldn't wait for us to get out of bed. Matt suggested that he and Ben go get their presents from under the tree and bring them into our room to open. We opted not to, but the thought is a tempting one!

*As I was stuffing stockings on Christmas Eve night, I realized that I didn't have anything for Adam's stocking. I wanted him to be able to open something, so I found a couple of matchbox cars and a book that he hadn't played with in a while and wrapped them. He was as excited as could be when he opened them on Christmas morning!

A Few Traditions
*Cutting the tree down the day after Thanksgiving

*Hidden ornament only our family knows about on the tree

*Christmas books around the base of the tree until Christmas morning. (I just started this last year and love it. It reminds the boys, and adults, about the true meaning of Christmas and encourages all of us to slow down and read the Christmas story.)

*Church with extended family on Christmas Eve


Adam opening his recycled stocking stuffer


Matt & his remote control truck


Ben's new race track


Christmas Brunch


The Traveling Sweater (white elephant gift given each year)

No comments: