Ben had his first meet the other night. I think I was probably more excited than he was! We had quite a cheering section ready to come and root him on. Our family, Holly and her family, Uncle Robert, Nana and Papa, and a neighbor family were all going to be there.
When Ben and I arrived to the pool for warm-ups, the place was a ZOO! There were kids and parents everywhere. 45 minutes before the meet was to start, there was standing room only. Nana and Papa had already arrived and had a seat, but I called all the others and told them this might not be the meet to watch. Brian and the boys, along with Uncle Rob, still made it and managed to find some seats, but it was insane! I looked at my mom and said, "This is a whole sub-culture I never knew even existed!"
The swimming finally got underway and Ben did very well. He swam in three events, and the meet took 2 1/2 hours! (We left after his races and it was still going on!) There was an hour in-between his first two races, and another 40 minutes between his 2nd and 3rd. I guess I just wasn't expecting a "novice" meet to be so intense. Ben's coach said there were about 200 kids there. After it was over, we asked Ben what he thought and he said, "It was fine," and moved on to playing something else. He said he would like to keep swimming and participate in another meet.
I think Brian and I have learned that we will approach the next meet quite differently! It's not the most conducive environment for a 2 and 5 year old!
I'm having some difficulty getting the pictures to upload, but once I figure it out, I'll post them.
Official Results:
50 Free-----51.01-----54th place
50 Back-----55.66-----27th place
50 Breast---1:14:85---45th place
Not bad considering there were some 8th graders at this meet...seriously!
2 comments:
Yay Ben!! You could have called and gotten the awful details about indoor meets...yes they can be a big pain!
So were his placements overall? We're not used to that since we swim in age categories. Did he have the option to do relays? Torrey can do 3 individual and 2 relays. The more events, the quicker the time passes :) But yes, a 3-4 hour meet is the norm. We're usually in the pool for warm-ups at 7:15, meets start at 8 and we leave the pool by about noon. Depending on how far away the meet is, it can be a loooonnnnggg day. And I don't bring my other kids :)
We're so happy there are more swimmers in the family! Funny, since none of us ever did...
Yes, the placements were overall. So, considering there were 200 or so kids, Ben was pretty excited about how he did. In his heats, he had a 5th, 4th and 3rd place out of 8 swimmers.
I guessing in MN we won't have the option for too many outdoor meets.
Post a Comment