3.16.2014

Pay It Forward

In the past 3 months I have had 2 random acts of kindness make a big impact on me.

The first was on Christmas.  As our family was opening our stockings, I received an unexpected gift.  Since I had done 99.99999% of the shopping,  I was pretty confused.

I opened the gift and was surprised with a pretty pair of earrings.  After looking at the return address, I realized it was from my SIL, Kate.  She knew I'd been having a tough and stressful month, and wanted to give me some extra TLC.  Her thoughtfulness went a long, long ways!


The fun note that came with my earrings


Tonight I experienced my second random act of kindness.  After spending most of the day in the ER with my dad, I ran out around 8:30 to grab dinner for my mom and myself.  When I pulled up to the window,  the employee said the car ahead of me had paid for my food.  I was shocked and said, "Are your serious?"  She said yes, and I started crying.  I told her about my day and she got teary.  When I returned to the hospital and told the story, one of the nurses got teary.

It's amazing how relatively easy gestures can go so far.  It's a great reminder for me to be more deliberate in performing random acts of kindness myself.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Best part of my Christmas! Well maybe second best, after the One Direction tickets. :) Thanks for the reminder of how important it is to put kindness into the world.