About a week ago, Matt had a tough day at school. He felt like he was being targeted by a bully in his classroom, he felt very angry, and he felt like he didn't have friends. It was heartbreaking to say the least. I spent some time talking to his teacher and the guidance counselor at school, both of whom say they see a happy, well-adjusted boy at school, but perhaps he was missing some connections.
As I began thinking more and more about Matt, it really hit me that he doesn't have his "thing". Yes, he's tried baseball, but didn't love it. He has trombone, but so does his older brother. It seemed like at this critical age before middle school he doesn't have the self-confidence that we would like him to have.
Matt is black and white. He likes to know exactly what to do. He likes the people around him to follow the directions. He prefers to be independent, rather than on a team. Karate crossed my mind, and as we started to talk about it, Matt's interest grew.
We tried out a free private class, and he really liked it. A week later, he was participating in his first karate class. Initially karate seemed kind of hokey to me, but as I watched the class today, I could see this being really good for Matt. The instructor was great with the kids and really focuses on self-discipline, confidence, goal-setting, self-control and many other characteristics that are critical to being successful in life.
Matt had a smile on his face the whole time and is looking forward to going back soon!





4 comments:
I love it. I think this could really be right in his wheelhouse. I asked him tonight if I had to call him Sensei.
This was really touching to me - Matt is lucky to have you (and Brian) as parents - he's a pretty cool kid.
Wonderful! Looks like he really gets into it. I bet they have a class that Mom and son can do together!
That's awesome! Go Matt go! ay yah!
Post a Comment