5.29.2011

Not Your Ordinary Basket

What we thought was a normal basket...



until we saw a mama mourning dove nestled in amongst the flowers.
(Look carefully and you'll see her in there!)



And now we know why she is so protective of her "nest."

Call me a crazy bird lady, but I feel a strange "protective mother" bond with this little mama. I don't want to water the basket and scare her off. I don't want to use the front door and disturb her. I want her to be able to enjoy her "pregnancy" and have a healthy baby bird soon.


3 comments:

Kate said...

I love this!

Sally said...

Humm could be a home for a while
"Mourning Doves are prolific breeders. In warmer areas, these birds may raise up to six broods in a season."

Vivi said...

Hmmmm...you are much kinder than I was when a bird nested in one of my baskets a few years ago. I continued to water, not willing to give up my basket. Oh, and I was mad at her for making MY basket HER nest and having the nerve to dive bomb ME on MY own porch. Dumb bird.

Maybe that's why I have 2 kids and you have 4.