3.16.2011

Job Security

Brian and I have both been teachers since the late '90s. Throughout the years as we watched friends and family members in the private sector sweat through rounds of lay-offs and budget cuts, we've been grateful for the job security that comes with being a tenured teacher.

Some of that security is being shaken lately. My district is going through some major budget cuts. One of our 9 elementary schools is closing. Our superintendent is leaving. Tenured teachers are being let go due to seniority. Programs like art and band in the elementary are being cut. It makes me sad, especially thinking about my own kids. Fortunately they don't attend school in the same district, but I'm not naive to think this same type of thing won't happen in their district before long.

For now, I have a teaching position in the district, and for now, they've still granted me a part-time position with a part-time leave of absence. What I don't know is what building or grade level I might be in next year. With all the shuffling and bumping of teachers and class sizes increasing, it is a very real possibility that I'll have no choice in where I am next year. I'm okay with that under the circumstances. I'm grateful that I'll have a job.

Brian's district is also making some big changes due to money issues. There's talk of reducing PE time, doubling up PE classes and therefore cutting PE teachers. He's pretty sure he'll be safe, but nothing is guaranteed and no one is able to share specific details. He permanently removed his special ed license from his teaching license, so PE is all he's able to teach. He doesn't regret that move, but it does make it a little scary when there's talk of cutting PE.

Neither of us is likely to know specifics until late May or early June.

2 comments:

lil' mama said...

We'll be praying.

Unknown said...

I am always sad to hear talk of cutting things like Art, Music, PE, etc... Those classes seem the most influential in teaching creativity and allowing exploration of broader interests, beyond the typical education. I will be hoping for both you and Brian that you won't be too affected by the cuts!