11.21.2010

This Sucks!

There are no other words for it. For the past 4 1/2 months I have been dealing with some type of skin issue, and now, it seems to have exploded!

In September I was given a topical steroid to deal with the issue which seemed to contain the itching and flaking somewhat, but didn't cure anything. After some internet searching, I realized that I shouldn't be putting a steroid on my face for too long, so I went off it. My skin is now the worst it has ever been in my entire life! RED. ITCHY. BURNING. TIGHT. RAW. And to top it off, it seems to be spreading. It's even begun to move up into my nostrils!

I went to urgent care and the older dr. clearly felt sorry for me. He was as kind as could be and suggested a regiment of tetracycline and a topical gel called Metrogel to treat what he thinks is rosacea. The problem...I can't breastfeed while taking these meds. I feel like I'm in a catch 22. Am I selfish for wanting to take the meds and clear my skin? Not only is it uncomfortable, it's terribly embarrassing. I've even canceled a couple of outings because I felt too self-conscious to go out. I desperately want the skin issue to be over and done with, but at the same time, I want to be able to breastfeed Luke. I enjoy the bonding time, it's good for him, it's convenient, and I also appreciate the weight loss benefits it provides. I've got about a week's worth of frozen milk, but after that he'd be on formula. What I don't know is if these meds will work. How long will they take to work? If and when things get better can I go off them and begin breastfeeding again? Is it worth it to pump and dump, or are my breastfeeding days with him over already? I certainly don't want them to be.

I decided to pick up the meds at the pharmacy, and the poor pharmacist had to deal with an emotional, post-partum mom. I was totally crying as she and I discussed the the pros and cons of everything.

Back in October I made a dermatologist appt, but the first opening was in mid-December. For now, I've decided to try the meds the dr. prescribed, and I'll pump and dump until I see the dermatologist. Hopefully things will be looking up by then. I know in the big scheme of things, none of this is a big deal, but for right now, this sucks!

It took all of my courage to post this picture, which I think looks better here than in real life.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Couple of thoughts/suggestions, recognizing it is possible you've already done this/thought of this.

Call you OB/GYN and see if they can get you bumped to an earlier appointment with a dermatologist.

While you have them on the phone, ask for a more detailed explanation of the risks to Luke if you continue to nurse him while taking this medication. I believe our bodies do an amazing job of filtering things that are harmful while breastfeeding.

If your OB/GYN isn't helpful, call the hospital where you delivered and ask to speak with the MANAGER of the lactation consultants and see what they think.

And finally, call the dermatologist and asked to be placed on the waiting list for appointment cancellations. (Or do what my friend Sandra often does and just show up first thing in the morning and say you will wait....)

Bottom line - if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself and that will be what is best to help you take care of Luke.

lil' mama said...

Good suggestions and well said from Kate. It's not selfish to be thinking about this while BF Luke. If it's consuming you and stressing you out now before even taking the drugs the stress might mess with your milk supply.

blessedby6 said...

I think you might actually have perioral dermatitis. Carlie had a bout of it last year which looks the same as what you have. It goes around the nose, mouth and chin area like that. Steroids make it worse. I also am dealing with a much milder case of it myself right now related to nasal steroid allergy meds. Mine is mostly my nose with a patch on my chin and I did try the tetracycline BUT it made me really sick. I actually felt too weird to even drive while taking that. So right now I am only using a month treatment of a different antibiotic (Keflex) and the metrogel. Even though the tetracycline is supposed to be more effective than Keflex, it has cleared up almost all of the way for me in the last 2 weeks.

The metrogel did NOT work long term for Carlie and after clearing up, she had to go on something else that was only topical. (She used a prescription lotion called CLINDAMYCIN PHOSPHATE). She could not have the antibiotic cuz she is a kid and the topical DID work and she is all cleared up now.

I think the antibiotic just knocks it out of your system faster.

And for the record, we saw our family doctor (specializes in skin care) and a dermatologist and this was the course of treatment.